Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Home

I have a technical job. At work, the male-female ratio is 5:1; and that's just in the central office where I work. If I consider the whole organization, the ratio would almost be about 20:1. It's a pretty tough place but it's great. :-)

I do enjoy my work. I get to try and match my capabilities with my male counterparts and I believe I have done a pretty good job. What else would I be trying to do after 8 years here? I have come to consider my work home away from home. And it's because I'm happy with it.

And then come those times of the year when I literally GO home. Ahhh... the feeling is just unexplainable. A week before those days, I already get giddy with excitement, smile with no apparent reason, feel really light-hearted. Absolutely nothing can spoil my day; well, almost absolutely nothing... But as GnR said it, "Every life has its thorn", right? ... or was it 'rose'?

My point is that I have found two homes. One is with my family in the province: my mom, my brother & his wife & his two daughters (oh those cute nieces of mine!). This home is my vacation home; my source of energy when I'm stressed with work, my quiet sanctuary. I may not always get along well with my mom when I'm there, but I wouldn't exchange those precious times of the year when I can be with my family. There other is at work in the city: my loud boss, my mischievous officemates, and my drinking and/or playing buddies. This is the life that I have created for myself, an indication of what I've learned thoughout the years, a manifestation of who I've become.

I'm happy with both worlds. That is why I call them both Home.

No comments: