Monday, September 24, 2007

The Prince's Tale


It's 3am, and I have just finished reading one of the greatest love story ever.

I was physically exhausted. At first, it was just the mind doing its best to comprehend the events of the story. I even had to search back a few chapters, read again meaningful lines of events that led to the ending, just to make sure I understood the finale. Still I wondered if I got it right as I drifted off to a restless sleep with dreams of friends, love and magic.

But they weren't just dreams. They were my emotions building up as the story took root in my subconscious, and to awaken 4 hours later, feeling deeply overwhelmed of how that story made an impact on me.

What started out as a child's adventure turned into an epic of courage, then to a shocking tale of selfless love. It's a cynical age we live in today. It was highly refreshing that there are still people who want to instill hope through literature (if people will just take time to read), that love always matters (in whatever form), and that good will always triumph against evil (even after death).

I have hated the Prince since Book I of the Harry Potter series. But he has become my hero in the last chapters of the final book because he embodied both mankind's weakness and God's ultimate goodness. Harry was just each person's long journey of self discovery, if he cares enough to discover.

Harry Potter's lineage of great courage, skill, humanity, trust and love cannot be inherited beyond the four sides of the seven-series epic but its magic surely has overflowed into the hearts of many, including mine. It was a fitful ending to a weary journey.

Hats off to you, J.K. Rowling. Hope you give us more.

No comments: