Wednesday, February 25, 2009

2008

A whole year when my blog page lay dormant and yet plenty of significance happened in that 365 days that was 2008. To remind me...

I lost a friend.

Funny... it would have been better to deal with if he'd actually died. Fond memories in the long run would have eased the pain. But believe me, it is a lot worse if you lost a friend because you lost respect for him. Try as I might to get things back the way they used to be, but some things are just irreparable. I can't even convince my mind that it was a huge loss, let alone my emotions. But, then again, maybe it was meant to be a good riddance? Good luck, bad luck, who knows?!!

I started a new way of life.

I have left the big metropolis and have opted to embrace small city-life. There were tearful goodbyes as I have indeed established good friendships in the 12 years I was there. I left a work environment to which I have adapted well. I gave up a fast-paced and carefree life of anonymity in a huge city. I will surely miss my weekly ritual of passing away the time or the afternoon metropolitan heat in those huge malls where window-shopping is a favorite activity. I will miss more the unplanned gimik with friends in the early evenings with a few bottles of beer or a glass of mojito. I will miss most those girls-night-out escapades where we talk about all that is sad or happy or naughty over a big bottle of Red Horse or a cup of over-priced coffee. I was away from home for a long time and somehow I have learned life's lessons on how to be an independent person in a very dynamic and unpredictable society.

And now.... I am home. It may take time to get-to-know once again old acquaintances from high school, or track new establishments where old buildings once stood, or adjust to a new set of differing personalities at my new workplace. I may have to find a new set of barkadas with whom I can share hobbies or while away time “golfing” with my good friend Miguel. Hmmm..... I may even have to adjust to inherent family squabbles and disagreements that distance has largely, and thankfully, protected me from all these years. But...... it is good to be back with my family again. I'm sure it's going to be a whole new adventure!

Oh yeah.... I became a "tangible" aunt to my nieces! I get to see them grow one day at a time. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"have been better to deal with if he'd actually died"

this statement reminds me of the classic, "lalong hahaba pa ang buhay non" haha

new beginnings means new adventures. especially now that 'aunt nao' is around :-)